photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Monday, September 22, 2014

Turkey Sausage & Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash


Okay, enough talking about fall already, and more doing! My mom and I went Halloween decor shopping for my new house last weekend, and I gotta admit, I have a problem. While most people go nuts over Christmas decorations, I'm over here, like, can I just leave my skeleton bones and spiderwebs up all year? In celebration of my love for all things crisp and fall-y (fall-y? idk, I'm just making stuff up at this point), I created this incredibly filling, and surprisingly


healthy stuffed squash bowl. The only thing that could make this recipe better is if I would have crumbled some bacon and sage on top. You should probably do it!

Turkey Sausage & Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 1 acorn squash
  • sea salt
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 turkey sausages, casing removed
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
  • 1/2 cup fresh corn off the cobb
  • shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
  • chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

Cut acorn squash in half, scrape out the seeds and strings, sprinkle with salt and bake in the oven flesh-side down for 35-40 minutes until softened and cooked through.

Preheat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in the turkey sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon while it browns and cooks through. 

Add in the quinoa and corn, allowing to warm through, mixing well. 

Once squash is done cooking, carefully remove using oven mitts and place flesh side up on a plate or in bowls. Fill each squash with the sausage/quinoa mixture and top with some shaved parmesan and parsley for garnish.

2 comments:

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014