photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png photo home-34.png

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Autumn Quinoa Salad with Roasted Squash, Brussels, and Broccoli


You know why autumn is my favorite time of year? Besides the obvious; i.e. cooler weather, scarves, and Halloween. Because I get to make salads like this. Like a lot of them. Like maybe I ate this three days in a row. Until I thought my boyfriend might stop eating what I make him if he saw another salad smothered in brussels sprouts for dinner. In my defense, the brussels sprouts are smothered in bacon fat and then roasted to perfection. So sue me if I couldn't get enough of them. As a kid, I NEVER ate brussels spouts. Not once. Not because I thought they were gross or anything. But my family just never made them. It wasn't until about 3 years ago that I had my first taste of brussels glory, and from that instant I was hooked. Toss those babies with some butternut squash, broccoli, quinoa, cranberries, and some raw pepita seeds, and you've got yourself one mighty fine salad. 


Autumn Quinoa Salad with Roasted Squash, Brussels, and Broccoli

Ingredients:
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 lb. brussels spouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 tbsp. bacon grease or cooking oil
  • cinnamon and sea salt for sprinkling roasted veggies
  • 1 head broccoli, stems removed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups homemade chicken or vegetable broth
  • dried cranberries for garnish
  • toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the butternut squash, brussels, and broccoli with the bacon grease/oil and season with cinnamon and salt all over the veggies. Place on baking sheet, spread out evenly, and roast for 25-30 minutes until browned and softened, tossing half way through. 

Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa by heating the broth over medium-high heat until boiling. Lower heat to simmer and add the quinoa, cooking for 15- 20 minutes until all of the broth is absorbed by the quinoa. Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes.


To serve toss the roasted veggies with the quinoa. Serve in bowls, topped with the cranberries and pepitas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + created by strawberriesnwine.com | 2014